When rebooting a virtual machine in VMWare and it gives the error message:
Bootmgr is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
You can try BCDBoot:
- Right click on the virtual machine and select “Edit settings” under “Hardware” change the device type to “Datastore ISO File” then choose Windows 2008 R2.
- Restart the VM and press “Esc” when it boots to get the boot menu.
- Choose to boot from “CD-ROM”
- You will need to click on repair Windows but cancel any menus to get the cmd.
- Using the command prompt type BCDBoot c:\Windows then press “enter”
This should then re-install the files needed to boot. You will need to shutdown the VM and then disconnect the Datastore ISO File type back to the client device and reboot the VM.